Norway is a pioneer in innovative AI research and a frontrunner in digitalization. Get to know this exciting research environment with HIDA and network with Europe's northernmost data science community.
NORA - Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium
NORA – Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium – aims to strengthen Norwegian research, education and innovation within artificial intelligence, machine learning and robotics, as well as other relevant research that supports the development of artificial intelligence applications.
NORA contributes in developing joint research projects between partners and takes an active part in establishing start-up companies in the artificial intelligence field, as well as in strengthening the collaboration between the consortium partners' research communities and the business community.
The consortium consists of the following partners:
- Universität Agder
- UiT The Arctic University of Norway
- OsloMet - Oslo Metropolitan University
- Universität Bergen
- Norwegische Universität für Lebenswissenschaften
- Simula Research Laboratory AS
- NORCE Norwegian Research Centre AS
- Universität Oslo
- Universität Stavanger
- Universität Südostnorwegen
- Kristiania University College
- Østfold University College
- BI Norwegian Business School
A Strong Norwegian Research Network
Norway is one of the most digitalized countries in the world and AI research is a top priority. This exchange is an opportunity to get to know the countries’ thriving data science community. HIDA is proud to collaborate with NORA – the Norwegian Artificial Intelligence Research Consortium – for this exchange.
Live and conduct research on a self-organized project in Norway for three months. HIDA supports your stay with a travel grant of up to 2,000 Euros per month. You will be part of a Norwegian research team, and will be supervised by a senior data scientist to learn new methods and skills. Network with one of the most active Data Science communities in Europe and learn new approaches and methods for your own research.
At the start of 2024, HIDA will conduct an interim evaluation of its exchange programs and make adjustments if necessary. The next round of calls for applications is expected to take place in fall 2024. The exact dates will be announced here.
Who Can Apply?
This exchange is for PhDs and postdocs with a working contract at one of the Helmholtz Centers at the time of the exchange.
Helmholtz-associated PhDs and postdocs, please contact us before applying.
The stay should be three months long and be concluded by October 1, 2024.
HIDA supports your stay financially with up to 2,000 Euros per month for accommodation and travel costs. You plan your trip as a business trip at your center. Please get in touch with the responsible contact person at your center prior to planning your stay. HIDA will reimburse your center after you have completed your stay.
Within the framework of this exchange, HIDA mediates between hosts and participants and finances the travel and material costs of the Helmholtz participants. Please discuss specific contract and working conditions with your host and host institution.
How Does the Application Work?
- Step 1: Contact a research group at one of the NORA member institutions to discuss the possibility of a 3-month research stay. You can find a list of Norwegian hosts who are interested in working with Helmholtz-data scientists here. Please also feel free to contact researchers at NORA member institutions (see end of website) who are not included on this list yet if you have a concrete idea for a project with them.
- Step 2: You apply at HIDA, outlining your proposed project and travel dates together with your potential host.
- Step 3: Applications are reviewed by a selection committee. This committee consists of the HIDA Steering Board and experts which represent the Helmholtz Research Fields and the Helmholtz Information & Data Science Schools.
For the awarding of the grants, the motivation of the applicant, the quality and originality of the project as well as the basic feasibility within period of the planned research stay are particularly decisive. Furthermore, a relation to the field of information & data science as well as the added value for the research portfolio of the Helmholtz Association must be clearly recognizable. The funding commitment is made in coordination with the Helmholtz Centers.
What is the Timeline?
- Applications portal open from August 15 until September 26, 2023
- Results by mid - October 2023
- 3-month research stays should take place between the date of commitment and October 1, 2024
Please note that the program is open to PhDs and postdocs with an employment contract at the Helmholtz Centers, and Helmholtz-affiliated PhDs and postdocs. If you are affiliated with a Helmholtz Center, but are employed elsewhere, please be in touch before you apply.
Within the framework of this exchange, HIDA mediates between hosts and participants and finances the travel and material costs of the Helmholtz participants. Please talk to your center’s program representatives (contact persons) or the host institution about specific contract- and working conditions-related questions.
For more information on how to participate, please refer to our FAQ document. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.