Analyzing gene sequences to predict diseases or developing robots that monitor their own health - research at the Munich School for Data Science (MUDS) has many facets.
Top location for computational sciences
MUDS trains data scientists in the Munich Metropolitan Region, a top location for computational sciences in Germany. Here, the Technical University and the Ludwig Maximilian University in Munich as well as the Helmholtz Zentrum München (HZMG) and the German Aerospace Center (DLR) have joined forces with the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics to form an internationally visible and highly attractive research network. The MUDS also cooperates with the Leibniz Computing Centre (LRZ) and the Max Planck Computing & Data Facility (MPCDF) and works with Roche Penzberg to promote application-oriented doctoral projects in biomedicine.
Doctoral researchers are currently conducting research at MUDS
This makes MUDS the one of the six Data Science Schools with the most doctoral researchers. 22 of them are associated researchers.
The MUDS aims to train the next generation of Data Scientists at the interface of data science and four different application areas through a structured PhD programme: Biomedicine, Plasma Physics, Earth Observation and Robotics. Although the specific research questions in these four domains are different, they all feature both purely data-based and model-based research approaches. The training at MUDS aims to explore new ways to combine these two poles.
- Plasma Physics
- Earth Observation
You can find an insight into current doctoral projects here.
- Supervision: Method and domain-specific mentoring by 2 PIs, supervision by an interdisciplinary Thesis Advisory Committee once a year
- Onboarding phase: elaboration of the research project and common basic data science training for all programme participants, creation of an individual, domain-specific study plan
- Mandatory courses for advanced scientific training: Block course "Fundamentals of Data Science", participation in two summer schools, two conference participations, participation in the MUDS seminar series
- Courses for personal skills training and career development (transferable skills): access for all MUDS promoters to relevant courses offered at the partner sites; in addition, it is possible to attend tailor-made trainings organised by the MUDS office
- MUDS certificate confirming participation in the programme
"Research at MUDS is great: I can learn from people in other fields and get ideas that I can also apply to biology."
Karin Hrovatin, researches with Data Science on Diabetes at MUDS
Funding and Duration of the Programme
The program extends over four years and offers continuous funding. The remuneration corresponds to the conditions for doctoral contracts of the respective partner institution and is based on the TVöD or TV-L.
Application and Further Information
There is a central recruitment round once or twice a year. The MUDS location and thus the location for all courses is Munich. The programme language is English. The programme starts every winter semester, the application phase takes place annually in autumn and every second year additionally in spring/early summer.
Are you interested in advancing your research at a top location for computational science in Germany? Then apply at MUDS
Dr. Julia Schlehe
Scientific Coordinator MUDS
Munich School for Data Science MUDS
Institute of Computational Biology
Helmholtz Zentrum München - Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1