Tomorrow's medicine needs data scientists. Researchers at the Helmholtz Information & Data Science School for Health (HIDSS4Health) are helping to develop the health trends of the future.
Unique research alliance for medicine
Three renowned institutions are involved in the Helmholtz Information & Data Science School for Health (HIDSS4Health): the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) and the University of Heidelberg. Here, a total of more than 40 research groups with a unique research spectrum offer an optimal starting point for solving central challenges in the field of health.
I love how interdisciplinary it is here. Even though it has become something of a buzzword, the interplay between multiple disciplines is in fact an everyday reality in my PhD.
is conducting research at HIDSS4Health to use data and artificial intelligence to make radiation therapy even more precise. Read more about her project
- Supervision: Intensive feedback and advice throughout the entire duration of the project by an interdisciplinary Thesis Advisory Committee
- Course offerings: interdisciplinary introductory course "Data Science & Health" and lecture "Advanced Topics in Data Science & Health", opportunity to take advantage of a wide range of specialization courses with a data and/or life science orientation
- International exchange opportunities: a financed mobility phase of about three months either at a leading international university or at a foreign (partner) institution
- Summer School: Use networking and further education opportunities at one of the summer schools organized by HIDA
- Personal competence training (e.g. courses on leadership, language, publishing in scientific journals, project management, presentation) and comprehensive support regarding internationalization, networking and career development
- Interdisciplinary work with other doctoral students on Cross Theme Topics
- Certificate of completion as "Data Scientist" with a confirmation of specialization in the health-related application area
"HIDSS4Health offers exemplary, top conditions for young researchers. I don’t know of any other post-graduate programs that look at data science in such a systematic, focused way."
Dr. Simone Schwanitz, Senior Ministry Official at the Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts of Baden-Württemberg
Funding and Duration of the Program
The program will run for three years and offers full funding. The remuneration during the term of the program corresponds to the tariff level E13 of the TVöD or TV-L (depending on the institution where the employment takes place).
Application & Further Information
Each year, up to eight doctoral researchers can start the program. The research areas are located in Karlsruhe and Heidelberg. All courses are in English. The program starts every winter semester; the application phase takes place annually in January/February.
Are you interested in bringing artificial intelligence and data science to the forefront of health research? Then apply at HIDSS4Health