H^3 Helmholtz Herbst Hackathon
Find solutions to big challenges with machine learning experts from different research fields
Young researchers from across the Helmholtz Association are invited to apply for the H³ Helmholtz Fall Hackathon 2021, September 8-12, 2021 in Gummersbach, Germany. The event is scheduled for 4 days as a face-to-face event. We are looking forward to receiving submissions. Deadline for applications: July 31, 2021.
We encourage MA students, PhD students, and postdocs who are interested in Machine Learning (ML) to apply. The Hackathon is a great opportunity to meet ML researchers from different research areas, Helmholtz centers and partner institutions, their research questions and ML methods. In preparation for the hackathon, there will be an introduction to working with ML models on Jülich supercomputers.
Participation can help you make decisive progress in applying your favorite topic on Europe's fastest computer and allow you to bring your ML expertise to other domains and applications.
The event will include
- Keynote by Ira Assent: "Data Science - concepts and methods for learning in a digital world"
- Keynote by Ribana Roscher: "Generative Models for Smart Agriculture"
- Introduction to the Jülich Challenges platform
- Introduction to running ML models on Jülich's HPC systems.
- Compute resources through HAICORE
As a participant
- choose a challenge you would like to work on
- form teams for collaborative coding, ideally mixed from different research areas and Helmholtz centers or partner institutions,to solve the challenge
- submit your solution to be at the top of the ranking list
- present your own research project in a poster
Throughout the event, you and your team will have contact persons for the datasets as well as mentors to support you with questions about ML and HPC. By the end of the event, we will hopefully have models that solve our challenges to a certain level of performance and perhaps even surpass the best submissions to date. Attendees will benefit from increased visibility in ML and AI - across domains and within ML communities.
Interested? Then take a look at previously conducted challenges on the Jülich Challenges Platform.
This event is for ML researchers or ML users who are looking for interesting data to work on. We would like to attract researchers with experience in ML methods, Python and common ML and DL packages to work on scientific questions with unique datasets and find solutions to the Challenges at the end.
Applications will be reviewed. Applicants will be selected based on your skills and motivation as described in the application. The organizing team aims to assemble a group of young, highly motivated researchers from as many research centers and research areas as possible.
Application deadline: 31.07.2021 Registration is binding, the number of participants is limited. Notification of acceptance will be made no later than August 6, 2021.
Digital Earth will bear the costs for accommodation, meals and travel expenses. Other expenses incurred for the implementation of this hackathon will be covered by the Helmholtz AI Consultant Team FZJ & Jülich Challenges.
When & Where
- Arrival: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 in the afternoon.
- Departure: Sunday, September 12, 2021
- Location: Wyndham Garden, Hueckeswagener Straße 4, 51647 Gummersbach, Germany
Organizing team: Daniela Henkel (Digital Earth), Stefan Kesselheim (FZJ), Enno Prigge (MarDATA), Ramona Kloß (HDS-LEE), Susanne Wenzel (FZJ), Sophie Ehrmanntraut (HIDA)
How was the Helmholtz Fall Hackathon 2021? Learn more here!